10 November 2007

Indian "Stretchable" Time

How do you wrap up an explosive 6½-week experience in a distinctly rich culture with a complex history, spiritualism & religiosity... an experience that was so perspective-shifting, inspiring, yet overwhelming, humbling, and incredibly educational? I'm not sure that I can answer it, because I'm still processing it all, but for the sake of time (and for finishing this post), I'll just say that I must recommend that all Americans take the opportunity to visit India & figure it out themselves. Although, I know that this might be too much of a challenge for many Americans, but it’s when you aren’t “secure” or comfortable that God refines your character. I would love to bring some of my old Boys & Girls Club kids to visit the slums of India or the townships in South Africa. They would really learn to count their blessings. The last week & a half in India we spent in West Bengal, splitting our time between the “rural” industrial city of Durgapur, its remote villages, and the massive congested city of Kolkata. First, our connection in Durgapur was surprisingly well-established in advance, which is especially unique for this seemingly spontaneous adventure -- thanks to one of my supporting churches (the Cathedral of All Souls), to their Youth Director (one of my best friends, Shawna Gilmore), and to their sister Diocese there. Our first few hours in West Bengal included driving down deserted highways (which is almost completely unheard of in this crowded nation), because a huge strike called off all pubic & highway transportation. We risked taking the highway and ended up being stopped by the strikers out in the middle of nowhere. They threatened to keep us there until 6 pm (when the strike ended), but thankfully they were peaceful protestors. After a short time I boldly joined our host & driver in begging for mercy, and they actually let us go. I guess they felt sorry for this travel-weary foreigner or maybe they wanted to stop me from repeating “please” over and over again... or maybe they just liked my smile. I’m not sure, but we were thankful to be on our way. Our “program” with the Diocese of Durgapur was full, thanks to Bishop Probal kanta Dutta. Some highlights include visiting Shantiniketan (the home of Nobel Prize winner Rabindrenath Tagore), spending time with the children & staff of the Diocese’s Child Study & Development Center, fellowshipping with the incredible staff of the Sarenga Child Development Center (who are doing amazing, holistic work with 180 youth and their families), visiting Diocese’s project out in the small village of Samadhi & the beautiful forest surrounding it, visiting with Lynn who is a missionary from Blowing Rock, WNC, and especially helping to facilitate a Recreation Evangelism Workshop "retreat" with 15+ youth leaders. I must elaborate on this wonderful experience. The Bishop organized a youth retreat around our visit -- bringing together specific youth (ages 17-25) who have surfaced as leaders in various churches throughout the Diocese. I was a little apprehensive about my abilities to lead a 3-day retreat but God worked through me... in spite of me... if that makes any sense. Through fun & games, some powerful lessons & discussions, and the presence of the Spirit, this group was brought together in a supernatural way. In just over 24 hours I felt a kindred spirit with these brothers & sisters, and I think they were inspired to break out of the "preaching mold" and to bring a new recreational element to doing youth ministry. Praise God! After an amazing time in Durgapur, we took our last Indian train ride into Kolkata. Our hosts were yet another sports ministry contact facilitated by our friend Paul Moses. Subir is an Indian, his wife Eunok is Korean, and they are both driven to facilitate an amazing ministry called Good News Children’s Education Mission. Their work includes various Kids Games events all over Kolkata each afternoon, 3 mobile schools for street children that meet every weekday morning, and a boarding school/"hostel" for 150+ boys & girls from the slums or directly recruited from their mobile schools. We visited 2 of the mobile school sights, joined an afternoon of Kids Games, and visited the Hostel at Chandpur, out in the area of Varupur (known for all it's guava trees). It’s inspiring to see how willing Subir & Eunok are to pursue God’s calling by working such long hours. Their dedication to Kingdom work with children inspires me. Our last morning in India we got a small taste of the impact of Mother Teresa's ministry by visiting the Mother House where she is buried, the Missionaries of Charity Children's Home, and the Home for the Sick & Dying. I was particularly humbled by an experience in the women's ward of the Home for the Sick & Dying when I gathered a thin, frail skeleton-of-a-woman in my arms to move her to a new bed. Shouldn't this make me sad or even resentful toward God? No. Instead I felt my heart fill with love and compassion for this woman. I can't cure her or even talk with her due to the language barrier, but I can love her and pray for her. I hope to come back to serve with these incredible sisters one day... God-willing. I'm so thankful for getting a taste of both the new and the old ministries in Kolkata. Our time in India was best characterized as a very "stretching" experience (fitting in with Indian's "Stretchable" Time, or IST). We are now in Pattaya, Thailand, attending the the ACE Sports Ministry Conference where we are reconnecting with friends we've met along our journey and making connections with those we will visit in the months to come. ISC is an incredible network of amazing Christians who seek unity in the Body and all for His glory. I wonder how God will call me to stay involved with this global network of Kingdom-builders. I wonder how God is calling me to implement all that I am learning from this amazing, life-changing experience.

No comments: